If you are looking to replace or purchase a new generator, then you have come to the right place. After several hours of research, customer feedback, and expert opinions, we have made a list of the best portable propane generators. Here, you will find a number of different brands and models to choose from.
We have arranged the list from the highest to lowest in terms of power generation. We can assure you that you will get optimal performance from all the models no matter which one you choose. So let’s get started with the portable propane generator reviews :
Here, we have included a table of contents to ensure faster and easier navigation through the content of this guide.
Portable Propane Generators: Comparison Table
Here we have included a comparison table to give you the basic rundown of each model and help you make the right choice.
6 Best Portable Propane Generator Reviews 2020
We have included a variety of generator models and brands. Each model has gone through a selection process to ensure quality recommendations. All generator models offer portability and quiet performance.
Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator-9500 Rated 12500 Peak
- Gas: 9500 Running Watts and 12500 Peak Watts, Propane: 8500 Running Watts, 11200 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob,...
- Features Two GFCI 120V 5–20R Standard Household Receptacle, One Transfer Switch Ready 120V L14-30R, One RV Ready 120/240V 14–50R,...
- Powered by a Heavy Duty 457cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil...
Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator comes with 9500 watts of running power and 12500 watts of peak power to connect your major appliances such as refrigerator, air conditioner, water pump, etc. at the same time. No matter what you connect with this generator, you will have reliable backup power.
The unit is considered the best propane generator for its engine capacity as well as a continuous performance. The power of the engine in this generator is 457 cc. This 4-stroke high power engine comes with a steel fuel tank capacity of 6.6 gallons and can provide you with a continuous backup power for up to 17.5 hours.
With this generator, you will get an electric start push-button and remote start key fob so that you can start the unit from up to 109 yards away. This high performing generator offers tension-free backup power for a more convenient operation.
- Automatic low oil shut down option shuts off the generator automatically when necessary.
- Dual fuel generator that allows you to run it either with gasoline or propane.
- Using electric and recoil start, you can automatically and manually start the generator.
- The fuel tank of this generator comes with a fuel gauge.
- All the outlets of the generator are covered with rubber for extended safety.
DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator – 12000 Watt Gas or Propane Powered-Electric Start
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP12000EH is Powered by an 18HP, 457cc OHV Duromax Engine.
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights, refrigerators, home...
If you are looking for a generator that can easily handle heavy loads, then you can choose the DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator. This generator is developed with dual-fuel technology so that you can choose any fuel option according to the availability and cost-effectiveness.
The generator will provide you plenty of power to connect many different appliances and tools. With the power of 12000 watts starting and 9500 watts running capacity, this generator will help you connect your lights, fans, refrigerators, air conditioners, computers, different electronic devices, and power tools.
The engine of this generator is very powerful. The OHV Duromax engine has 18HP and 457cc capacity. This engine ensures not only smooth performance but also long lasting durability. Another feature of this generator is that it can provide you a double power boost so that you can conveniently run anything in your home.
- This generator is sturdy and constructed for longevity.
- Comes with a large fuel tank of 8.3 gallons to provide more backup.
- Includes different tool sets and accessories to offer you added advantages.
- You can automatically and manually start the generator with the help of the electric start and recoil start.
- The generator also comes with an oversized noise reducing muffler for peaceful performance.
Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane) Portable Generator with Electric Start – 12000 Peak Watts & 9500 Rated Watts – CARB Compliant – Transfer Switch Ready
- Dual Fuel – 12000 Peak Watts and 9500 Running Watts (Gasoline); 10800 Peak Watts and 8550 Running Watts (Propane); 6.6 Gallon Fuel...
- Electric Start – Convenient One-Touch Power Switch with Back-Up Recoil Start
- VFT Display – Volts, Frequency, and Lifetime Hours; Full Control Panel Featuring Two 5-20R 120V 20A GFCI Household Outlets, One...
Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane) Portable Generator is best for those looking for the best propane generator for home use. This high performing generator will allow you to connect all your home and electric appliances along with sensitive devices without any added tension.
The generator will give you 12000 watts for peak power and 9500 watts for running power. This means you will get plenty of power to comfortably run all your appliances. The generator also comes with 6.6 gallons capacity fuel tank to offer you continuous backup for a longer time.
Controlling and operating this generator is very convenient. Using the automatic and recoil start, you will be able to start the unit either automatically or manually without difficulty. This generator also includes an automatic low oil shutdown option that shuts off your unit automatically when the oil level is low.
- 4-stroke powerful engine of the generator has a capacity of 457 cc that can run smoothly for a long time.
- Produces very low noise at 72 dB.
- The fuel tank of the generator comes with a fuel gauge so you can see the update of fuel.
- The VFT display of the unit shows you different metrics regarding the volts, frequency, time, etc.
All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Electric Start 10000W Gas/Propane, Black/Red
- Important note: all shipments require a working phone Number to schedule delivery and proper Address for the unit to be shipped out, or...
- 10000 watt peak power, 8000 watt rated power(GAS); 8500 watt peak power, 7000 watt rated power(LPG)
- 15 HP 420cc OHV air cooled engine. Runs 11 hrs @ 1/2 load
All Power America APGG10000GL 10000 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator offers 10000 watts of peak power and 8000 watts of rated power on gasoline. On LPG, additionally, this generator offers 8500 watts peak power and 7000 watts rated power. It comes with a 15 HP 420cc capacity OHV air cooled engine that provides superior performance.
The capacity of the fuel tank of this generator is 8 gallons so that you get more backup power for a long time without having to constantly refill the fuel tank. The engine can run for 11 hours continuously at 50% load. You will be able to connect almost all your appliances, devices, and power tools with this generator.
You will also enjoy the automatic start and manual start with the help of the electric start and recoil start option. You can use any start option anytime as per your preference. You will also notice minimal noise from this generator as it only produces 76 dB of noise.
Power America APGG10000GL Features
- The generator is constructed with anti-corrosive materials and has a special coating.
- You will get more portability with the flat-free wheels and grip handles.
- It also includes a flat free wheel kit, maintenance-free battery, hour meter, etc.
- You will get safe and stable power backup from this high performing generator.
Sportsman GEN4000DF, 3500 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator
- Buffalo Corp is a premier wholesale importer of quality products for home and industrial use at affordable prices.
If you are looking for a mid-capacity and dual fuel generator, then you can try the Sportsman GEN4000DF, 3500 Running Watts/4000 Starting Watts, Dual Fuel Powered Portable Generator. The wattage capacity of this generator is 4000 watts for rated power and 3500 watts for starting power.
The engine power of this generator is 212 cc, and it’s an OHV engine that gives you superior performance. The engine of this generator can run on both gasoline and propane. If you run this generator on gasoline, then it will give you 10 hours of continuous power backup to run different home and electric appliances.
The operation of the generator is also very quiet in comparison to other generators available on the market, as this generator only produces 69 decibels of noise.
Sportsman GEN4000DF Features
- This generator is very flexible and portable with a convenient handle.
- 7 HP engine which ensures added durability and better performance.
- The generator can give 12 hours of backup power with a full 20 lb propane fuel.
- It includes a regulator hose kit.
- This generator is sturdy and constructed to provide longevity.
DuroMax XP5500EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator – 5500 Watt Gas or Propane Powered-Electric Start
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP5500EH is Powered by a 7.5HP, 225cc OHC Duromax Engine.
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 5,500 starting watts and 4,500 running watts, this unit is perfect for running household appliances and providing...
DuroMax XP5500EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator is another great performing unit that is widely used and reputed. This high-quality generator can offer 5500 watts of starting power and 4500 watts of running power to connect your tools and appliances.
This generator is very sturdy and constructed with durable metals. The generator also comes with all copper winding, so you can get the best quality and performance. This unit is fuel-efficient and can run more on less fuel so that you can save on fuel costs.
This generator is very portable, so whether you run it in your home or on the road, you can use it comfortably. The generator is also equipped with two 120-volt outlets to offer more convenience.
DuroMax XP5500EH Features:
- The generator comes with a powerful 7.5HP and 225cc OHC Duromax Engine to give you better performance.
- You can either use gasoline or propane to run the generator and get a continuous power backup.
- The generator produces very little noise.
- You can easily start the generator either using the automatic electric start or the manual recoil start.
What is Propane?
Propane is the liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) that is used as fuel to run different fuel-powered appliances and devices such as generators or inverters. This gas is colorless, non-toxic, and has no odor. It’s the best eco-friendly and engine-friendly fuel.
How Do Propane Generators Work?
A propane generator works through the burning of propane gas. During the burning time, it creates heat and energy. This energy or motorized power is then converted into electrical power. Below are some of the components that help a propane generator produce electricity to provide backup power:
- Internal combustion engine
- Fuel tank
What Are the Advantages to Propane vs Gas?
It’s widely accepted that propane is safer and cheaper gas compared to gasoline. If you use propane for your generator, your generator engine will last longer and perform better. If you use gas, you will get more power, but your generator engine will not last long and perform better like propane. Below are some of the advantages of propane:
1. Prolongs the Engine Life:
Propane is a beneficial fuel that heats the generator engine quickly even when the engine is cold. It’s good for both the fuel tank and the engine. The burning mechanism of propane ensures the extended life of your generator engine.
2. Offers clean and environmental-friendly Burning:
Propane is a clean-burning fuel that produces less carbon monoxide than other fuels. It also produces fewer toxins. At the same time, it doesn’t emit greenhouse gas, so it helps to keep our environment safe and clean.
3. Can easily be stored in both larger or smaller Tanks or Cylinders:
You can easily store propane for up to 30 years in both your larger or smaller tanks or cylinders. It also doesn’t have a shelf life, so you can use this fuel without any issue as long as it lasts.
4. Available during Power Outages:
Since you can store propane fuel for a longer time, you can get it anywhere if there is a power outage. Storing propane fuel is also safe as propane tanks are extremely durable and very hard to explode or fall into any issue.
5. Less Emission Compliant:
Though most of the fuels produce greenhouse gas or carbon monoxide, propane doesn’t emit such things. That means using propane is not only safe for the engine but also for the environment.
6. Provides quiet Operation:
Propane-powered generators or engines are very popular and widely accepted because of its quiet operation capability. Compared to other fuels, it produces fewer decibels as well as less noise.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we have provided some answers to your frequently asked questions to better assist with your generator buying needs.
✅ Are Propane Generators any good?
If you consider the convenient use of a generator, then propane generators will be one of the best choices. Apart from that, a propane generator is better for both the environment and the generator itself.
✅ Is it cheaper to run a Generator on Propane?
Yes. It’s cheaper to run a generator using propane fuel, especially if you live in a place where the price of propane is less. However, the cost of the propane is almost half the price of gasoline.
✅ How long will a 20 lb Propane Tank run a Generator?
The time will vary depending on the load you are using and the type of generator you have. However, with 20 lb propane, a 5000 watts generator with the engine power of 10 HP can probably run for up to 8-10 hours on 50% load capacity.
✅ Are Propane Generators quieter than Gas Generators?
Yes. A propane generator is not only quiet but also more environment-friendly compared to a gas generator.
✅ How long will a 500 gallon Propane Tank run a Generator?
This will vary depending on the generator and the load amount. However, a 5000 watts generator with the engine power of 10 HP can probably run for up to 20-250 hours on 50% load capacity.
Our Final Recommendation
All the generators listed above are great options. However, we recommend the Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator as the best overall generator.
One of the most important reasons is that you will get the assurance of a safe and constant power supply from this generator with the quiet operation features. Additionally, starting and operating the generator is very easy with the electric start and manual start. The 4-stroke engine is very powerful, with 457cc capacity. You will also enjoy the portability as it comes with wheels and convenient grip handles.