Our review is going to take a closer look at the various features and benefits of the Champion 3800 generator. We’ll give you a quick overview, a full rundown of its most important specifications and discuss some of the pros and cons of this particular unit. Lastly, we’ll provide you with the positive and negative opinions of various users and their experiences with the Champion 3800. Do you like to take your RV off the beaten path and outside those crowded RV parks?
If you do, then you will need a generator in order to provide the necessary power to make all of the equipment, appliances, and lights work in your RV. A solid generator to keep in mind when it comes to providing alternative power to your RV is the Champion 3800 Generator.
Find out how to pick the right generator for your needs here![lwptoc]
Champion 3800 Generator Overview
When you want a solid generator for use with your RV or backup energy in a blackout, you need to take a close look at the Champion 3800 Generator. This generator is best for use with an RV or to provide emergency backup power during a blackout and can work on either gasoline or LP gas.
- Dual Fuel: Operate your 3800-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts...
- Electric Start: Power up the 224cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, battery included
- Intelligauge: Keep track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals....
- The first major selling points of this unit is its capacity to power an RV air conditioning unit of up to 15,000 BTUs.
- The maximum power output is 4750 watts with a continuous output of 3800 watts when operating on gasoline. For propane, it’s 4275 watts and 3420 watts.
- Its 4-stroke, 224 cc engine utilizes electric starting or alternative recoil starting to make it more dependable to start when you need it most.
- This is a fuel efficient generator with a run time of up to 9 hours on its 3.4-gallon gasoline tank or up to 10.5 hours when using a 20-pound propane tank.
- Mounted on a steel frame and rolling on 8” casters, you will hardly notice the 122-pound weight of this generator until you have to lift it into the bed of a truck. Its overall durability is what really makes this a valuable investment.
- Safety features are also included with circuit overload protection.
- This generator is also environmentally friendly meet CARB requirements in all 50 states.
- The outlets included on this unit are geared more toward your needs when using your RV than for operating a wider variety of devices and appliances, but you still get solid and dependable output for those items that you do plug in.
If you are an RV camper who likes to travel off the beaten path, this is a good setup and affordable means of providing the power you need at your remote campsite.
Our Expert Opinions
One of the positive statements about this generator is that being able to use propane allows you to store the fuel for it without worrying about evaporation or the degradation of the quality of the fuel. Its ability to keep a window unit air conditioner running in an RV is another positive. Additional comments from users included the ease of electric starting rather than breaking your arm with recoil start, its dependability and long-lasting performance, and its reasonable price. Areas of improvement were also pointed out by a number of users, one of which discussed the sensitivity of the choke being an issue when cold starting the engine. The loudness of the unit brought out some complaints from various users as did its overall weight when it came to lifting it. One user pointed out that the oil filler was poorly located right over a lower frame support making it difficult to gain access to it. A final negative that was reported by a number of users was related to the starter battery to the unit being DOA and the fact that it does not seem to hold a charge very well.
If you RV off the beaten path and want to keep all of the equipment, appliances, and services of your RV running, you will need a generator which is set up to handle the specific needs of an RV. The Champion 3800 Generator has all of the power necessary to keep your RV’s systems running and the necessary outlets for various additional components as well. Having looked at the various features in our review, the specifications of this generator, its lists of pros and cons, as well as the opinions of various users, you should be well-enough informed to know if purchasing this generator is the best option for you. Let us know how it all went!